... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Redwall

Everyday I try to read 3 things: something to lift me up spiritually, something to help my writing improve, and something for pleasure. It may be an article or a portion of a book.

As an avid reader, I am able to read several books at a time- but only one at any given moment. I have one book in the bedroom, another in the livingroom by my recliner, another one in the library (a.k.a. bathroom), and one in the car.

The book in my car is usually one of short stories; it prevents lots of frustration when stuck in traffic or waiting for a long train, standing in a long line at the grocery store, or waiting at the doctor's office.

Right now I have returned to the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. They are fantasies based around an abbey built of reddish rock, where all good hearts are welcome. All the characters are animals- mice, moles, otters, hedgehogs, hares, birds, and more. Each book is a tale told of good versus evil. It is not a good series if you are dieting- the food is described in great detail and I find myself wanting to find the abbey just to join their feasts.

Well written with characters you love and hate. The searats are despicable, the fox and ferret leaders have no scruples, yet the nasty arguing shrews will give their lives for you. The warrior mousemaid is both sweet and furious. I love it when I like a book and there is more in the series.

I read the Redwall books for pleasure, but they are also spiritual in the lessons of good over evil. The animals have all the traits of humans, which can be used for good or evil, and they have to make choices just like we do. But there is one thing that I wish was more true- for the animals, family is everything. The little ones are cherished and raised by the community as well as the parents. Yes, I wish we humans were doing better on that score.
Brian Jacques also teaches me about writing- the pace of his books is great and he switches between the bad guys and the good guys so you can have both perspectives. Every time good triumphs I get excited, but I get equally sad when lives of those little creatures are lost in battle.
The word pictures are awesome. On a spring day you can almost smell the blossoms in the orchard behind the abbey; you can almost hear the dubbins (baby animals) splashing happily in the pond.

By the way, the Redwall series is written for older children; you won't find them in the adult section. I'm looking forward to my grandson being old enough that we can read them together.

Tomorrow I'll tell you about some more good books.

Selah-

Shalom, Connie

No comments: