... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Sunday, December 23, 2007

"It's Looking Alot Like Christmas"



Or is it? Just how does Christmas look?

Earlier this evening I was watching PBS's Christmas in France. The customs varied from area to area- Paris celebrated differently than they did in the countryside. There were beautiful, snowy scenes; even a horse-drawn sleigh. Is that how Christmas looks?
Or is it the Christmas pageant with little ones dressed in shepherds robes or wearing crowns like the 3 kings?
Is it the live manger scene in front of the big church downtown?
Or it is the Christmas tree with colorful gifts underneath?
Having been a nurse for over 40 years, I have worked many Christmases caring for sick, injured, sad, lonely, dying people? Is that how Christmas looks?
For each of us it is different; and it may change from year to year also.
As I prepare throughout Advent for the celebration of Christ's birth, I try to envision Christmas from the viewpoint of the angels, of Joseph, of the shepherds, of Mary, and so on.
But I never thought of Christ's birth from His grandmother's point of view. Guess it's because my son left today to join his family in another state. The weather in the midwest is bad so I'm not sure if he arrived safely. He very well may be stranded.
As a mom, I am wondering if he's in an airport or was he able to get a room? Are my grandkids okay? Or were they on the way to pick him up along with their mother? Do they have a place to lay their heads tonight?
Is that what Christmas may have been for Mary's mother?
Was she worrying about about Mary traveling when she was so close to her delivery time? Was she concerned that they'd find a place to stay? Did she realize that it would be more than days or more than even weeks or months before she'd met her grand baby? Did she understand who this baby was?
Was Christmas a day of continuous prayer for Mary's safety? Or had this mother disowned her daughter?
Was she going to accept a baby that wasn't even Joseph's? How would she react when the King decrees that all males under two must die?
So many questions with no answers.
All I know for sure is that I want to "Go Tell It On the Mountain that Jesus Christ Is Born!"


No comments: