... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Friday, December 11, 2009

HANUKKAH

This evening at sundown, the first candle or light for the Feast of Dedication or Hanukkah is lit. And I am excited to celebrate, for the first time, a special feast that scripture tells us Jesus also celebrated. (See John 10:22; note also the miracles that occur in chapters 9 and 10.)
The Feast of Dedication or Hanukkah has also been called the Season of Miracles. It celebrates the reclaiming, cleansing & re-dedication of the temple with 8 days of festive remembrance.
Because this is new to me, I have been researching & asking questions that have taught me more exciting things about the Lord. I'd like to share with you!
First, I'd never caught the significance found in John 10:22. I didn't connect "Feast of Dedication" as being Hanukkah. I've loved learning that & sharing with my grandchildren that Jesus celebrated Hanukkah also. We're going to play the dreidel game tonight like He did!
As we read the story of Hanukkah's coming to be and discussed the monorah, it was fun listening to my three and one-half year old put it all together. She, of course, knows the song "This Little Light of Mine," and easily put it together that even one little candle can light up our world.
As a Messianic believer, the tallest candle, which is lit first & lights all the others, is the perfect picture of Christ, our Light of the World. By the way, some Advent candle wreaths place the Christ Candle taller also.
One thing before I tell you what happened that required the cleansing and re-dedication of the temple, you need to know that the purification process of the oil for the temple's menorah required 8 days.
Now, let's go back in time. Alexander the Great in Greece is dying. He gives his kingdom to four of his best men. One of those four is Antiochus Epiphanies; his heir, enters Isreal kills 40,000 with no remorse, & sent out an edict to end circumcision, reading of scripture & worship.
Horrible consequences resulted. Then he defiled the Temples of God.
After many deaths & atrocities, Judah Maccabee led the battle as directed by God. A small band of men against 105,000 or more, but they were for fighting for the Lord. The undefeated Syrian army was defeated as God promised!
The Temple was rebuilt and cleansed; the altar made brand new; & one flask of oil found.
The menorah was lit with but one day of oil & remain bright for the EIGHT days of celebrating the defeat of the bad guys.
I can imagine the shock, horror & surprise of the Syrian army as they went down to defeat by a small group of ordinary men... with an extraordinary God! And can you invasion the miracles that must have been occurring to protect that small band of men?
A picture of God's mighty power, His love for His people & His caring about a small detail of oil for the menorah.
Blessed are You, Lord God, King of the Universe,
Who commanded us to live as children
of the Light through Yeshua our Messiah.

http://www.kshs.org/research/collections/graphics/menorah.jpg


No comments: