... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Monday, January 30, 2017

Book # 10: The Pilgrim's Progress




I came across Steven James' book Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of The Pilgrim Progress (2006). Before reading it I wanted to reread The Pilgrim's Progress.Then do a comparison.

Ichthus Publications graciously provided this book at my request and I agreed to write a review. This edition was revised in 1834 for "Sabbath schools" and pictures of 28 engravings on wood were added. It is intended for older children and teenagers, but at only 125 pages it is a quick read for adults as well. 

John Bunyon, an English preacher in his 30s, was arrested in 1660 for unauthorized preaching, It was in prison where he wrote this allegory, now considered a Christian classic, a "must read" book. And I agree.

An allegory is a "story, poem, or picture that can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one." Bunyon's is a spiritual journey. Jesus taught in parables also called allegories.Usually, when you read an allegory you have two choices. You can read it as just a story or you can go deeper and try to understand the hidden meanings.

However, in The Pilgrim's Progress not much is hidden. The character's names: Mr. Honesty, Mr. Fearing, Mr. Self-Will, and Mr. Great-Heart define them and what is of concern.

Just as listening to someone with a heavy accent is difficult. At first, you can't understand them but if you continue to listening you will. So it is when reading Old British English. The sentence structure seems wrong, backward, inside out.But after a few pages, it becomes clearer. Don't stop. Don't miss journey!

Selah ~

Connie



No comments: