... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Book #8

The Pilgrim’s Progress

Paul Bunyon was arrested for preaching the gospel without permission and spent 12 ½ years in prison. During those years (beginning in 1660), he wrote a number of works, the best of which was the allegory, Pilgrim’s Progress, which became a classic and touched the lives of billions of people.

An allegory is a story, poem or pictures that can be interpreted to reveal hidden meaning, typically a moral or political one. Pilgrim’s Progress is an allegory of a spiritual journey. [Synonyms include parable, analogy, metaphor, and symbol.]

I am reading the 1834 abridged edition of The Pilgrim’s Progress along with Steven James’ Quest for Celestia: A Reimaging of The Pilgrim’s Progress (2006).
Both are intended to reach a new generation.

I will be writing the book reviews later, but first I want to share a story of an unusual consequence related to reading the unabridged book.

Remember the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bed Day? Well, I think I’ll call my story…

Alex, the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Boy

Everyone that knew Alex would agree whose qualities and dreaded it when he showed up.

Unlike the Herdmans*, the worst kids in the history of the world who lie, steal, smoke cigars, swear, and hit little kids; Alex caused havoc by being uncooperative, loud and rude. He had no respect for grown-ups, no friends and didn’t care. At least that’s what he said.


Selah ~

Connie


* Character's from the book The Very Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.


No comments: