... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Thursday, April 13, 2017

All At Once...





White covers the earth in my little corner of the world. In the space of 10 minutes or so, it just rained with the distant sound of thunder. Then it quickly changed into hail bouncing on the grass and pavement. As a blanket of white was laid down, it turned to snow. Now the sun is shining while the rain mixed with snow continues. In the time it took me to type this only the sun and the white covering of about an inch remains.   

Spring in the Northwest! The trees are budding, a few daffodils have bloomed and the temperatures vary dramatically from day to day.

The driveway now looks slushy as it melts. Feels like it should April’s Fool’s Day.

Actually, it is Maundy Thursday. (Also known as Holy Thursday, Covenant Thursday, Great and Holy Thursday, and Thursday of Mysteries among other names.) 

It is the Christian holy day falling on the Thursday before Easter. It recognizes the last supper Jesus had with His disciples and traditional includes the washing of feet.





“When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. ‘Do you understand what I have done for you?’ he asked them…. ‘Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet’” (John 13:12, 14).

“In the days of dusty roads and open-toed sandals, feet often became dirty, and it was the job of the lowest servants to wash the guests’ feet. But Jesus set an example of service by doing this job himself, despite the protests from Peter.
“Today when we serve one another throughout the year, helping one another with real needs, we are obeying the spirit of the law of Christ. We are “washing feet” when we give people rides to church, when we help them move furniture, when we bring a meal for the sick, when we clean house for the bereaved. We wash feet when we encourage the depressed, are patient with the angry, spend time with the lonely.*”
As I consider on the meaning of this Holy Thursday, may it serve as a moment of reflection for you, also.
Selah ~
Connie

*See htts://www.gci.org/church/lordssup/footwash


No comments: