... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Monday, September 04, 2006

Here Comes...

A cartoon showed a man thinking, "Oh great! Here comes Bob. I told him I'd pray for him."
Next, his eyes closed, he says, "God bless Bob."
Last picture is the man shaking Bob's hand saying, "Been praying for you, Bob."

This cartoon reminds us that prayer in our busy world can easily be forgotten.

Personally, I want you to know that the power of prayer is so important to me that I am very careful about saying, "I'll pray for you." It is an area in my life that I am constantly working on; I need to improve my prayer life. I do better than some, but I haven't even come close to prayer warriors like my Aunt Mattie.

She literally went to her unheated attic- hot in the summer and cold in the winter- and prayered on her knees from 4:30 a.m. until 6:30 a.m. everyday except when birthing her two children. My uncle told me she would be displeased that he told me; she prayed "in secret" as Jesus instructed in Matthew 6:6.

My uncle had a heart condition, and knew his time on earth was short. "I know you have a hard time liking Mattie, but she's going to need you. You didn't know it , but she's prayed for you since before you were born, through nursing school, for your marriage, and now as a widow with a son to raise. She lifts you up in prayer along with many others daily."

Remembering back to when I stayed with them as a child, no wonder she sent my siblings and I to bed while it was still sunny.

Well, I haven't been able to pray on my knees for two hours every day, but scripture also tells us to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17.) Being the Type A person that I am, I need a plan.

#1 I never say "I'll pray for you" unless I mean it; and I write it down so I won't forget.
#2 I pray as prompted- if a person comes to mind for no apparent reason, I pray for them. When I see a funeral procession, I pray for that person's family and friends. When I hear ambulance or firetruck sirens, I pray for the responders and those needing them. These are my "5 second" prayers that are woven into my day, but I know God answers all prayers big or small.
#3 I pray when my church calls with a request on the Prayer Line and write it down.
#4 I try to begin and end my day thanking God.
#5 I pray for you while I write this and while writing devotionals, articles, etc.
#6 I use a calendar to help me focus and keep track of needs. It is in my Bible, at my desk, and in my bathroom. No laughing! It's the one place I go everyday; and my refrigerator is full of my grandchild's pictures.

Sunday...................... Sunday services at church, self
Monday..................... ministries
Tuesday.................... teachers & those receiving treatment; physical needs per the prayer chain
Wednesday............... workers and writers
Thursday.................. troubled people, non-physical needs per the prayer chain
Friday........................ family & friends
Saturday................... seekers, those needing salvation

Using a blank calendar- one of those without dates- I write the above at the top of each daily column. Underneath I list who or what to pray for. Wish we had a day beginning with "P" so I could praise God for answered prayer. I try to do that daily, but it's easier to ask than to say thanks sometimes. (I'll be telling you about my blessing basket another day.)

My prayer life is still evolving, but I try to keep a direct line open so I can speed dial the Lord throughout my day. Where ever you are in your prayer life, keep at it. The more faithful we are in prayer, the better our day is. Decisions, choices, relationships, daily tasks- all are easier when shared with the Lord.

Just like you, I do better some days than others. When I'm in a funk, it's hard to pray; but praying for others is the best way to keep your mind off yourself and your problems.

God has given each of us 86,400 seconds today. How many are you using to talk with Him?

Selah-

Shalom, Connie

* * *
Monday- pray for those in ministry; your pastor, missionaries, & various other ministries
including Christian businesses.

No comments: