... Even the worst heartaches can become heartstrings to God's hope, comfort, encouragement, joy, peace and love...

Welcome! As a fan of the cartoon character Maxine, I enjoy her witty remarks. But when I
read my blogs & other writing to her, she's not very responsive- even when I'm wearing my bunny slippers like hers! She just doesn't get it!
Although she's funnier than I am, I do pray that this site will bring encouragement to your day! I'd love to hear from you! Unlike Maxine, you can leave me a message via the Comments. Shalom, Connie

......................................................................................

Monday, April 20, 2020

From my friend, Joseph



  GROWING YOUNGER
 
   By: Joseph J. Mazzella
 
          I was about to shave this morning when I caught my reflection 
in the mirror.  There was no doubt about it.  My body was growing 
older.  My formerly thick hair which used to be brown with a touch
of gray was now gray with a touch of brown.  It was hard to see on 
top too with little of it left there.  My forehead wrinkles had become 
permanent and when I smiled a hundred more curled up around my 
eyes and mouth.  I thought about letting my beard grow for a second
but didn’t really want to look like Santa Claus.  When I stepped back 
I could see I had gotten chunkier as well because while my 
metabolism had slowed my eating hadn’t.  My muscles also tended to 
be achier and my body creakier.  And the file clerk in my mind seemed 
to be misplacing things a lot more often.  I was even thinking of writing 
stuff down more so I could remember what I came into a room for.  
In spite of it all, though, when I looked in the mirror again I caught a 
sparkle in my eyes. I smiled and felt a joy in my heart. I knew that 
no matter what my reflection looked like, my soul was forever young.
 
       The truth is while I have been steadily growing older on the outside 
I have for a while now been growing younger on the inside.  I can 
remember how serious, stressed, and worried I was in my twenties 
and thirties.  I often felt like the weight of the world was on my 
shoulders. Now at fifty three my heart feels lighter and my days look 
brighter. I feel like a true “Child” of God free to laugh, to sing, to 
dance, to love, and to help others do the same.  I worry less and 
smile more. I have a lot more faith and a lot less fear. I let my love 
lead me and face the pains and problems of this world with the 
loving-kindness of the next.
 
       In the end all of our bodies will wear out and die, but WE won’t. 
Our young souls will go on forever.  Spend your days growing younger 
then. Let the child within you live and love.

No comments: